John's Laker

Per request from the many Laker builders, the section is dedicated to braggin' about your Laker kayak.
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

John's Laker

Post by john the pom »

I know its not the same having pics and no water in sight, but I don't take a camera when I go paddling.
Ok, slightly different Laker 13. Lower foredeck and sides, Probly approaching two inches from standard height.

Didn't affix carry handles of any sort, most handles, straps etc. look like big snags to me and knowing my luck... These big carabiners, bargain at $1 each are handy if it ever needed to be carried any distance. I didn't put in any kind of seat, but whilst trying out various options I discovered that this foam filled outdoor seat cover does the job excellently and remains comfortable for many hours. I just slip a garbage bag over the bottom section of it to prevent water getting to it. (keeps me bum dry too :) )

Stainless steel turnbuckle set into either end is probably my most useful contribution. It holds my anchor trolley system, carry handles, and is useful for tieing the boat off and extra tie points when on top of the car.

I did not set bulkhead frames in permanently on account of I knew I'd eventually want to change something. So they're fixed with silastic, easily removable.
My $5 paddle :) A bamboo pole with fibreglass casts of my cheap aluminium/plastic paddle blades. Under my $5 paddle is my anchor. Ok so itsa paving stone. It works :P
Last edited by john the pom on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

"ByYY jove! EE's Gaught it! Oy think ee's got it!"

Good thinking John; I like the way you think. Except, for hte self-deprecation. Lose that bit. You can be more confident of yourself and do more.

Your paddle is a good go. I like it. Let me know how it works?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day John, :shock: :D 8) 8)

Love ya work mate!!

lovely boat. 8)
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Thanks Jack and Mick. The paddle works great. Only thing is I need to fix some sort of drip collars around it. I simply laid glass over my other paddle blade wet it out and peeled it off when dry. Built it up with two more layers of glass and glued it with woodflour onto the bamboo shaft.
Started out as an unfeathered paddle but I didn't like it. It was still a bit fluttery/flexible at that stage. Cut the shaft and reset it at about eighty degrees with an aluminium ferrule, then added another layer of glass over the blades and painted it.
It was the leftover glass and my nasty cheap epoxy, so it didnt get any sanding, just slapped it on and walked away from each coat till it cured. Feels comfortable to paddle with and is lighter than my bought one. Looks more like it belongs with the Laker than my red plastic one. Win/win!
Last edited by john the pom on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

John...

Sharp looking boat and I really enjoy/like the wood tones in the deck , real wood , you can't beat it , pretty stuff.
The sky blue hull with the black strip really sets it off and adds a lot to the wood tones.
My bet is that you get a lot of comments on it. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

John,

Having a primary and a spare paddle along are always a good idea. Like the safety belt on our car, we hope it is a waste. If I get into rough, dirty paddling that's really hard on the blade, I put away the carbon fiber model and haul out the Bending Branches wood model.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Thanks Jack appreciate the advice but I realise that paddle is "unknown" as far as durability/capability goes. Always take a single blade paddle along with me tucked in the Laker as a spare. Use it for shoving off with too. I take it even when using me bought paddle. Just there to get me out of trouble should it be needed. Hope it only ever collects dust. But its worth the weight.
CapricornCoast
Type of boat I like: Laker 13

Re: John's Laker

Post by CapricornCoast »

So how is the Laker going?????
Living in The 70s Image[/URL]
/img]color]
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Yeah John, Howzit going maaaate?

Oh yeah, You're a clever bugger with that paddle.. Bloody sneaky, I like that. :D I have been agonizing over how to make blades like on my lovely Skee touring paddle, Now I know!!!!

PS, Might be down your way in a couple of weeks.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Sorry guys for not responding sooner to those posts, didn't see 'em :oops: "How's the Laker going?" Most excellently last time I got to use it... :( Which due to a back problem was almost three months ago. That was the first time I have had it on really flat water with no wind, and I'll be honest, a year after it was built it amazed me how fast it will go in such conditions. :shock:
Mick I used NO barrier to skin them paddle blades, but that was on a cheapie paddle. I know I probly don't have to tell you, but someone else might try it on a good paddle which might not be plastic :roll: and have a catastrophe.
Might, just might get a chance to go for a quickie in the Caboolture River tomorrow, I've got the bass down pat in there but have heard there were just a few of them GREENFISH stocked in there a number of years ago. :)
Regards John.
P.s. While I'm here I figured from a post you did a while ago -can't remember where- your sneaky laker might just be built in at the ends and fairly open in the middle. Had almost decided on doing that myself. Opening up the middle and having dry storage/floatation in just the ends might just suit this little sucker for fishing a bit more. Hmm still pondering.