Minimal/extreme cruising

Forum for www.boatplans.dk. Guests welcome to post!
Gaffers

Minimal/extreme cruising

Post by Gaffers »

Hi all,

A quick question/advice about minimal/extreme cruising. I'm not sure if this is the correct term or not.

Do any of you have any experience of this, I am very interested in looking at this seriously but would like some pointers or advice first.

Cheers,

G
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Sail, motor, or paddle?
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

At the very least,

you will need some form of shelter - Perhaps a tarp?

and also a means of cooking / heating your food. - perhaps a wood gas or small propane stove.

1st 2 rules of survival -

1. find shelter.

2. food/water.

and a basic first aid kit.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

I'm thinking that it would aid the answering process if you explained the question. What do you mean by "minimal/extreme cruising"?

Once I understand the question, I can answer or dodge a lot better.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Gaffers

Post by Gaffers »

I'm talking about covering the same kind of distances using a dinghy as you would in a yacht. I thought it was called extreme cruising or something like that.

I am rigging my Dinghy Vee for sail (gaff rig with job) and (electric) motor with 2 x 65Ah leisure batteries. When there is no wind I can at least cover ground under motor, and charge them up in harbours at night. I will eventually rig up a platform on the top of the boat for sleeping, as well as the necessary canopy.

Navigation lights are sorted with a set of detachable D cell powered lights, which more than covers rule 7.

I know about living outdoors and everything I will need for that being a mountain leader.

Is there anyone with experience or any good links that I can use?

Ta in advance ;)

G