Dan's DK18

Forum for www.boatplans.dk. Guests welcome to post!
davaodan
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Dan's DK18

Post by davaodan »

I am very pleased with the boat and motor. It carries four with ease and my Filipina wife was reassured a boat can travel safely without catig (outriggers).
The blessing went well and she has been named "Rock & Roll."
More pictures to follow, hopefully with some fish on the hook or in the cooler. We have marlin and tuna here so anything is possible.

Dan in Davao
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

Congratulations Dan. "Rock & Roll" looks like a great solid and dependable boat. Nice work :D
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Magnificent work Dan! Thank you for an enjoyable and informative thread. Now go and enjoy your work.
Regards John.
davaodan

Post by davaodan »

The boat is about to leave on an excursion to a FAD (Fish Aggregating Device) which is simply a float in the sea. We experienced strong wind and waves almost nine miles offshore so we fished at the FAD for only a short time. True to Morten's word, the boat handles very nicely with an 8 hp. motor. On calmer water we can easily go 10 knots or 20 kph. The next day a nice 14 kilo tuna was taken there and I bought it. You can see the much appreciated sun shade I installed.

This boat handles very well in adverse conditions. We had 7 to 8 foot seas with wind and we did take on some spray which was easily bailed out. I was very impressed. Two of the three with me were quite nervous about conditions but they are used to riding in a native canoe with outriggers. I appreciated the water's warmth here in the tropics. Those of you with Google Earth can look up 6 53' 37.2"N, 125 53' 48.9"E to see the location off Samal Island in the Philippines.

Dan in Davao
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

Papa Hemingway would be proud! All I can think of when I see that boat is "Old Man and the SEA"

Lee
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.
davaodan

Post by davaodan »

You got the Old Man right anyway.