Brazos River Trip

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Brazos River Trip

Post by Darrells »

This was a litle trip I took about three weeks ago. it was my first overnighter with the Pirogue.

I was planning on getting an early start on a overnight Brazos fishing trip, but ended up having to work for awhile on Sat. finally got to the putin at 3:30 Sat afternoon. We had a strong cold front come in Fri night and the temp Sat was in the lower 40's with a 25-30 MPH North wind. Thanks to the wind we made the three mile trip down the river in just a few minutes. Arrived at a large sand bar and got camp set-up and gathered fire wood before even wetting a line.

The drum were biting very well and manged to catch a few before it got dark. I had a blue cat that I would estimate at over 40 pounds right to the bank before it threw the hook. Once it got dark the bite died so we got busy cooking supper(grilled chicken, baked potatoe w/all the fixins,and my special recipe baked beans),listening the coyotes sing to the moon and having a beverage.

It got very cold (lower 20's with about a 15-20 MPH north wind), but as long as you stayed behind the wind break and close to the fire it was nice. The moon was as big as I can remember it. You could see 150 yds. either direction down the sand bar.

The new tent worked nice and had a good nights sleep. I woke up right at day break and the wind had died down so it did not feel too cold. Got the rods set back out and started coffee and breakfast.

This was a pretty good size sand bar. First picture is looking left,second is looking right.

As the sun came up we caught a couple of more drum and a blue cat that weighed about eight pounds. Broke camp and fished our way back upstream. By the time we had paddled/fished back to the putin the river had rose about eight inches. Overall it was a great quick trip which I am going todo again ina week or so.

Darrell
Darrell Sykora
scottrunnr
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Brazos River Trip

Post by scottrunnr »

Looks like it was a great trip! Thanks for sharing. Those of us in the frozen North are starved for pictures like this to get us through the winter!

Where are the Southern Hemisphere folks!
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Great pictures. Mmmmmmm catfish..... Why is it that the ugliest fish, such as catfish, halbut, and lingcod, taste the best?
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Looks like you know how to handle yourself in the outback.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.