Okwata in Hervey Bay

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Okwata in Hervey Bay

Post by hairymick »

G'day guys,

I finally got the chance to get some meaningful piccies of my Okwata today, and to also put her through a comparison paddle, with my wife's very fast Natrueline Wanderer.

http://www.natureline.com.au/wanderer.htm

A geniune TK1 or racing/touring kayak that is widely recognized as one of the fastest of its kind in this country.

I also own a Wanderer and when I am paddling it, I have trouble keeping up with the intrepid Miz Robin in hers :oops: when she puts the hammer down.

Today started off glassy calm with a forecast of afternoon sea breezes to 15 knots - perfect for a day paddle in "the bay" 8)

The foreshore of Hervey Bay town is about 20 - 25 kilomtres long and we put in about half way along its length and paddled south into the forecast afternoon breeze.

We paddled about 10 Klms to the Urangan Pier where we stopped to have lunch in cool of the shade under the pier

Then continued on to the Urangan Marina for a bit of a sticky beak at the silver tail boats. :P

The sea breeze had started to kick in. 8)

More soon :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Okwata in Hervey Bay

Post by hairymick »

Silvertail country!

Outrigger canoe racing is HUGE here. 8)

Looked around for a while and then back out into the real world.

to a beach on the southern side of the marina for more food and another cuppa in the shade under some she-oaks. 8)

All the stuff on the ground around robins feet fit easily into the rear hatch of my Okwata with a lot of room to spare. The front hatch is even bigger. 8)

Regards,
Mick

CrkdLtr
Type of boat I like: Pirogue

Post by CrkdLtr »

Beautiful pictures. As far as comparing your Okwata to the Wanderer - even though you said you have a hard time keeping up with the Mrs when you two are both in Wanderers how did you fair in your Okwata?
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

While we were having our second little snack break, the sea breeze really kicked in from the South East which meant we would be punching it when we headed out to round the marina wall and then would be running down wind all the way back to the put in.

Chops at the worst were about 2' high but short and very steep and confused in the bounce back from the marina breakwater.

Robins TK1 is a flat water boat but is still reasonably capable in these conditions. She took half a dozen waves over her bow and into her cockpit. Okwata took none. There was enough volume and lift in the bow of my Okwata to ensure that even the worst of the chops didn't even come close. The very fine entry pierced the chops and the volume close behind just had her rising up cleanly without any banging or crashing. The loudest noise to come from her was the bow wash falling back into the water - beautiful. It was just too hairy to stop to take a piccie here sorry. Matt, I freaking LOVE this boat mate.

When we turned side on to the wind and chop, again, Okwata handled it with aplomb. no hint of weather cocking. She just ran straight and true.

Then back into the calm of the town reach of Hervey Bay for the 10 klms back to the put in.

with a couple of refreshment and swim stops along the way. 8)

I had no trouble in keeping up with Robin today. for the first time ever, when she has been paddling her wanderer and put the hammer down, I have been able to keep with her, let alone have to stop paddling so she can catch up!

Matt, this boat is the fastest, easiest paddling kayak I own. At a guess, I would say she is even faster than my Southwind. Stability is rock solid and the boat is predictable. I can think of nothing in her design that I would change. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to build the prototype of this magnificent kayak. :D
Regards,
Mick

hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day CrkdLtr ,

Mate, we must have been posting at the same time.

Okwata is faster than the Wanderer - no question about it.
Regards,
Mick

craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

That is a beautiful boat Harry. Also, those are some beautiful pictures. Something about it makes it look fast just sitting there on the beach.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
CrkdLtr
Type of boat I like: Pirogue

Post by CrkdLtr »

hairymick wrote:G'day CrkdLtr ,

Mate, we must have been posting at the same time.

Okwata is faster than the Wanderer - no question about it.

Yes I think so. If I had known you were going to be telling such a great story I would have sat back and patiently waited and got my answer. :)
Bruce36549

Post by Bruce36549 »

Mick,

Beautiful pics of a beautiful boat.

Bruce
I may look busy, but I'm only confused.
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Great report Mick......And she's an absolutely beautiful looking boat.....Nice work, mate.
Hmmmm..........there's another I want to build!!!
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Thanks guys,

Snapps, you really need one of these mate 8)

This boat is just a joy to paddle anywhere. I have something a little different in mind for my next build. Another kayak, but more challenging build. 8)

I have absolutely no need for it, this boat will do all that I want very well but it seems I just can't kick the habit now. :oops: and I still have enough play, resin and fibreglass from my last order to do the job.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, It was a real ego boost for me, every where we stopped and even while we were paddling along close to the shore. The "Oohs and Ahhs" as people everywhere stopped to watch and to gawk at my little boat. or where we stopped on the beach and people seemed to feel an urge to just touch her.

While my workmanship has a ways to go and I know of several pretty basic mistakes I made in her build, I have to admit to a level of pride in the finish of this boat. The stunningly practical and beautiful lines of Okwata shine through to even non paddlers and the fact that she is made with beautiful Gaboon ply (mostly) only enhances her charm.

I would encourage anybody who is considering a kayak build to take a serious look at Okwata. For my purposes, she is superior to every other fine kayak in Matt's ever growing stable, in looks and in practicality. Anybody who builds this boat will not be dissappointed in her and I am certain they will become as passionate about her as I am rapidly becoming.

This is a genuine recreational/touring/and capable sea kayak in every sense. There is enough volume and load capacity in her to put many of the big name jobs that claim to be expedition capable to shame yet, at the same time, little to nothing is compromised in the way of hull performance or paddle-ability.

Robin was so pissed that she wouldn't even take my Okwata for a test paddle and I am real happy with that. :lol: (She USED to just love to be able to sprint away from me when she wanted to.) Otherwise, I would be talking to Matt right now about a second boat.

We plan to go paddling again this week end and hopefuly, I will be able to get some better images that might be of use to Matt on his site. Any that you find that you like Matt, help yourself mate or if you would prefer the High res versions just ask and i will email them to you. You know where to look. :D
Regards,
Mick