Coconut powder

Post your own building tips and "how to" ideas here.
Derek Bowen

Coconut powder

Post by Derek Bowen »

Artists say that if you can really make a join line invisible then do it, and if you can't then make it really obvious. I recently found out that coconut shell powder makes your filleting material a rich very dark brown and that it contrasts wonderfully with epoxied marine plywood. I will be starting my second build in a week or two and "she who must be obeyed" wants an all natural wood finish. The first build was my apprentership and thanks to all the great info on this forum it is the sexiest touring canoe around. The wifes single seater has to be a master work (OR ELSE) and emphasizing the joins between panels will be a part of the overall artistc finish.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Coconut powder

Post by jem »

Yea you better step it up! :D

I always thought real dark fillets against wood grain gave a nice artistic look. I've often thought about using a light colored ply with epoxy that has no amber tint and then using really dark filleting material. I have some mahogany wood flour that is really dark.

The challenge is masking off you wood so the filleting material doesn't stain the wood that you want to keep light colored.
-Matt. Designer.
Wimperdink
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Coconut powder

Post by Wimperdink »

I've always wanted to cut my joints in the shape of large puzzle pieces and use a dark colored filler as suggested to accentuate the cut on purpose. I had the boat named "Puzzled". Too bad it never left the depths of my head and put into action. :oops: I'm thinking it would give more surface for epoxy to stick to making it stronger, and you could use one on each side and maybe 2 on the top deck. If it doesnt work there's always paint. :)
I make stuff up!