Garden Island

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Garden Island

Post by OnkaBob »

Went out with a group of members from a couple of fishing forums last weekend. The launch was from Garden Island in Adelaide's Port River system and we spread out into the mangrove lined creeks to hunt bream and small salmon. Sadly the fish were not active but it was still a great day meeting other kayak fisherers and enjoying a break in the winter weather.

Mine was the only timber boat present and one of only a few sit ins.

This was the view back to the launch spot. Saw a dolphin tail-slapping just here - does anyone know why they do that?

One of the larger creeks - "Swan Alley"

Spent about 3 hours in the saddle and felt remarkably good. Normally I'm crippled after 30 minutes in the kayaks I trained in (Dancer and Spectrum) :D . Still have to get the fishing gear sorted (less is better it seems!) but things are progressing and summer is going to be a blast. 8)
Last edited by OnkaBob on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Garden Island

Post by Tor »

Hey Bob,

looked like a great day on the water, do you get on the AKFF forum there's a good bunch of blokes from Aus who fish from their yaks as soon as I've finished the southwind I'll say hello to the Victorian boys.

Tor
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

G'Day Tor,

Yes, the day was organised by people from AKFF and Strikehook (local SA fishing forum). I go by the name "Labrat". I met Wedgetail on the day too - he's building a Sabalo but has no shed at present so is stalled for a while. Will be good when he's finished as we'll then have a couple of Jems in the local fleet.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Saw a dolphin tail-slapping just here - does anyone know why they do that?
Hey I've seen similar behaviour from the dolphins up here I think it may be their way of applauding a fine looking boat. They probably get fed up of seeing all that plastic stuff floating around in their backyard :D
Regards John.
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Bob......Looks like a great day out.
The JEM boats really do stand out among a gathering of tupperware craft, don't they! :D :D
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"