carbon application

Info about our Products and Services
cridgie down under

carbon application

Post by cridgie down under »

Hi I have seen some items on this forum about the use of carbon ,i cannot find them ,so can anyone point me in the right direction to read previous posts,or advise how to use,mix, apply, etc etc. i have a laker 14 and want to do the underside,
appreciate any advice i can get
regards. cridgie down under
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: carbon application

Post by tx river rat »

Carbon cloth are graphite and epoxy?
Ron
cridgie down under

Post by cridgie down under »

Hi Ron i am not sure what you mean ???
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

I think Ron means ...carbon fibre can be purchased in a cloth form,where as graphite powder is what we mix with epoxy to toughen bottom of boat
some time ago there was a sort of thread about using alluminium oxide for same reason
hope this helps
Ive never used the search feature but try typing in "graphite"
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Ray....
If you're talking about the black graphite finish on the hull, I got my graphite for the Cape Fear from the local hardware store. The same stuff they sell for freeing up locks, etc.
A couple of those little puff bottles (about 50gms each) was enough for three coats on the hull and cost about $12.
Mix your resin as for a normal coat and stir the graphite through thoroughly, making sure you stir out any lumps that form. It ends up being a thicker consistency and is a bit harder to apply evenly.
I applied mine using a roller as with normal resin coats but also used a plastic paint scraper to move some of it around if the roller wasn't spreading it easily, and then running the roller over until it was right
This was after the first coat.
A light sand between coats and after the third coat the finish was jet black.
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"