Thanksgiving camping in Texas

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Thanksgiving camping in Texas

Post by Phishtech »

The wife decided we wanted to go camping over the long Thanksgiving weekend since all the kids were scattered to the in-laws. We found a jewel of a place in east Texas near Jasper called Martin Dies Jr. State Park. Beautiful campsites, clean, public showers and toilets if you didn't have a camper, playground for the kids, canoe, rowboat and bicycle rentals, 2 boat ramps and 2 fishing piers. The place is a kayak paddlers paradice. Hike and bike trails all through the forest. We had deer walk through our campsite morning and evening. We can't wait to go back.

Our campsite

I haven't started my Laker 14 yet so we took the Ultimate 14.5.

[IMG]http://i529.photobucket

We woke up Friday morning to 36°F weather with a little fog which soon burned off.

View of the lake draped in fog

This park has some beautiful places to kayak. We picked the perfect weekend to go.

We love hiking and this place had some lovely trails through the woods.

We ended each day sitting by a log fire drinking coffee, then off to bed at 9 to the sound of falling leaves.

Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Re: Thanksgiving camping in Texas

Post by Oldsparkey »

That is a nice looking park and the water is something else , looks like some good fishing water. I hate to say it but it looks like some of the places we have over here and they are real good fishing.
Cool weather , good campsites and good water to paddle , a great way to spend a few days just enjoying life. Plus it appeared that you had the whole place to yourself. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Post by Phishtech »

Oldsparkey wrote: Plus it appeared that you had the whole place to yourself. :D

Chuck.
Not really, I just make sure I don't include too many people in my pics unless they're needed. We got there Thanksgiving day and not too many people came in until Friday, and the park was almost completely full, and it's a big park !!
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

Great Report and Pics 8) The wife and i will have to give that park a try :!: Thanks :wink:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson