Two weeks of paddling

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Two weeks of paddling

Post by olsnappa »

I'm just back at work after a couple of weeks off.
I took the CF to a few different locations around Victoria and got her hull wet again. I'm still sorting out the photos and videos but the first I'll put up are from a little trip on the Yarra River.
A bit further out of town than last time....
If you care to look at the video you'll see it became quite a soggy trip.....but good fun just the same :D
Getting ready to launch

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU0ENxhBwmo
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Two weeks of paddling

Post by olsnappa »

Another installment from my two weeks of paddlin’ about….
This time, Blue Rock Dam, which is on the Tanjil River in the West Gippsland region of Victoria.
It was built primarily to supply water to the Victoria’s main power stations in the nearby Latrobe Valley.
It has a surface area of 873 hectares and has stocks of Brown Trout, Redfin and Australian Bass……none of whom made themselves known to me as I trolled around. :roll:
But it was a beautiful crisp foggy morning and, as the fog burnt off, became a delightful sunny day…..so no complaints from me. :D
Video link's below the photos.

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AuEHsWdQqw
John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

This one’s the Rocky Valley Reservoir, situated 1600 metres above sea level near the alpine ski resort of Falls Creek.
The dam was built as part of the Kiewa Hydroelectric Scheme and has become a renowned fly fishing location. It’s the first time I’ve been there and I couldn’t get over the incredible deep blue of the water. Especially noticeable being set in the stark alpine landscape.
It was a very clear crisp day when I was there with quite a stiff breeze and a bit of chop and I couldn't resist going for a flat out belt across the lake.
Video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBUJdTMBvR0

John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

Great video..........................Gee your boat tracks well...no side to side bow shimmy or side to side roll as you paddle.

Cheers Paul
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Dang!

I just took the time to watch your videos. Your first one is bloody spectacular!

Mate, I second what Bemm said. I have had the plans for the Cape Fear for some time and have always believbed in her. They were among the first of Mattsd plans that I bought but he just kept coming up with designs that I wanted to build more.

Now, I find myself studying these plans again, counting my sheets of ply and looking at storage problems. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Paul......G'day and thanks..... Yeah, I've always been really impressed by how she tracks whether the water's like glass or choppy...... All down to Matts design I think...... Remembering that the CF was my first build and I still rate myself as a novice paddler...this boat is just so forgiving......And she's pretty too. :D

Hi Mick...... Mate, I know you're gonna end up building a CF.... and I'm sure you'll love it. It's funny (and maybe I'm biased) but one of the things I liked about it's design was the sort of retro feel which I always found hard to define. But I've had it confirmed quite a number of times where people who've stopped to chat about it, have so often assumed at first glance that she's an old boat (circa 1950's or '60's) that's been restored rather than a newly built one. When I've told them it's only a year old, they've often said I must have worked from old plans..... :roll:
............ And I reckon preacher's stripper will generate even more of those sort of comments :D :D
John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

Tor

Post by Tor »

ok enough paddling already, the green eyed monster is out and he can't find time to paddle, now stoppit.

Off to Port Albert at the weekend, if the weather stays kind
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

A great thread Snaps - CF has always been in mind for a build but I have many different ideas that keep circulating. At the moment I'm just waiting for Preacher to finish the strip panel one and see what it's like.
hairymick wrote:....... counting my sheets of ply and looking at storage problems. :D
Mick, I have a tip for your storage problem - take 4 of your old plastic yaks and plant them bow down about 1 metre in the ground at suitable spacings - then you'll have the corner posts for a magnificent new shed! :lol:
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Thanks Bob....... Glad you're enjoying my 21st century version of the slide night :D :D
Yeah, preachers stripper's going to be a beauty
Tor wrote:ok enough paddling already, the green eyed monster is out and he can't find time to paddle, now stoppit.

Off to Port Albert at the weekend, if the weather stays kind
:D :D Tor.... Port Albert sounds good....
Just one more installment now.
This time the Mitta Mitta River. It was a glorious day as you can see in the vid and photos.
The water was beautiful.....and the fish were shy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YItnD2Ne_Bo

John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Mick...... Mate, I know you're gonna end up building a CF.... and I'm sure you'll love it. It's funny (and maybe I'm biased) but one of the things I liked about it's design was the sort of retro feel which I always found hard to define. But I've had it confirmed quite a number of times where people who've stopped to chat about it, have so often assumed at first glance that she's an old boat (circa 1950's or '60's) that's been restored rather than a newly built one. When I've told them it's only a year old, they've often said I must have worked from old plans.....
............ And I reckon preacher's stripper will generate even more of those sort of comments
G'day Snaps,

You put into words nicely exactly what I have been thinking about CF all along. I have always believed in this boat as a very good, general purpose kayak. Your images prove the point. :D

I have just never understood what this particular design never really seemed to catch on till now. I think it has it all, form, function, style and simplicity. A head turner in any crowd. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)