Dismount technique

Per request from the many Laker builders, the section is dedicated to braggin' about your Laker kayak.
lilmoe
Type of boat I like: buccaneer

Dismount technique

Post by lilmoe »

I apoligise for no piccie,but I was by myself.
I took my Laker for a short otur of a local farm pond last nite and had a blast. I caught several bluegills, and crappies, all too small to mess with, but fun. When I was thru, I came back to the grassy shore, and proceeded to land. There, I made two important discoveries!! One, mid May is too cold to swim in a farm pond in S. Iowa--Especially after about 6" of fresh rain! Two, I need to work on my dismount tecnique--I raised self off the seat, felt a slight tilt, and was wet before I knew what happened! I stood knee deep, rescued my cell phone for the plier pocket(at least thats what it used to be) and laughed my a$$ off--and I had no witnesses! I believe I will remember not to do that again, but it is still funny to me. I think there are two kinds of us-those who have fallen out of a boat, and those thath will. Sometimes again. Life is short--enjoy the screw-ups too.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Dismount technique

Post by OnkaBob »

lilmoe wrote:I apoligise for no piccie,but I was by myself.
That excuse isn't good enough - go back and do it again with witnesses :lol: :lol: :lol:

The good thing about long cockpits is that you can get your legs in and out while sitting down. Best way I've found is to put one foot on the river bed then stand up. Don't keep too much weight on the foot still in the boat though - doing the splits and then falling over will result if you do. If your legs are long enough put one out each side of the boat and then stand up (Mick's technique).

The bright is that at least it wasn't January brrrr :shock:
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
David Kopera
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by David Kopera »

It's all in the footwork, at least that I have been told. Being 5'4", it is not possible most of the time to put one foot out on the bank. I usually try to sit on the sill behind the seat, and then gingerly step out. I just look like a turtle trying to turn back over after being flipped on my back. If we can't laugh at ourselves, what fun is life???? Have fun and be careful out there.

Keep the open side up and happy boating.......
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Here is a simple technique that works fairly well.

http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?31

In warm weather, I just always dress to get wet because I usually end up that way :D . If its really cold water, I wear a dry suit. Its probably the only time I don't get wet.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.