Next Boat Help

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Next Boat Help

Post by hairymick »

Paty, I haven't compared Occy to the Cape fear. i have never paddled a CF. What is meant was that either boat would be superior to a pungo.

For me, and this is only a personal thing, I love the lines of Cape fear but she is just too wide for my taste in kayaks. i really like long skinny boats.

Re stability, This is very much affected by the paddlers seat height. in my very skinny boats I sit as close to the hull bottom as possible, whereas in a boat like CF I think one could reasonably expect pretty good stability at gunwhale height.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that if stability is your main concern, go with the CF or perhaps a sit in version of Sabalo might suit even better. :mrgreen: Sabalo is a magnificent design and well worth offering in multiple configurations. :P
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

hairymick wrote:Paty, I haven't compared Occy to the Cape fear. i have never paddled a CF. What is meant was that either boat would be superior to a pungo.

For me, and this is only a personal thing, I love the lines of Cape fear but she is just too wide for my taste in kayaks. i really like long skinny boats.

Re stability, This is very much affected by the paddlers seat height. in my very skinny boats I sit as close to the hull bottom as possible, whereas in a boat like CF I think one could reasonably expect pretty good stability at gunwhale height.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that if stability is your main concern, go with the CF or perhaps a sit in version of Sabalo might suit even better. :mrgreen: Sabalo is a magnificent design and well worth offering in multiple configurations. :P
I actually thought about building the Sabalo that way. After the Sabalo SOT was done, I was going to ask Matt if he minded me trying. I was going to build the hull and deck over the whole thing. But, I decided to go with the Okwata instead. Variety is the spice of life :D

I figured that if the Sabalo was as stable as she was with me sitting 4 inches above the bottom, she would be super stable with my butt touching the bottom.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

I am going to throw a couple more in here
this boat has a 9 inch high seat and I can throw a cast net out of it sitting down

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2144
It is my tripping boat

This is an asymmetrical Laker that I have tripped in and she will run away from the 13 ft Laker and much better stability.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2401

Ron