Fun day sturgeon fishing on the Willamette

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Fun day sturgeon fishing on the Willamette

Post by craiggamesh »

Well, a new era has dawned. One in which I was able to actually fish two days in a row. I woke up this morning and thought about shutting my eyes and drifting back to sleep. But, I had the hall pass to go fishing again, and I didn't want to blow it. I got to George Rogers Park about 9:00 am and was anchored by about 9:30 am on the east side. At about 10 am I caught what would have been my first keeper sturgeon ever. It was a little over 39 inches. Unfortunately, he didn't cooperate and I was unable to get a photo with the tape measure. I needed both hands to hold him still. Also, when the scutes started snagging into my drysuit, I felt it best to release him ASAP.

I had several other bites, and missed a few fish. I also hooked two others and lost them. One still may have a hook in its mouth :(.

As I was kicking back all happy that I had just caught the biggest fish of my life, Bam! Fish on! This one did not want to come up. After about a ten minute battle I got it up to the surface. I wish I had an extra pair of hands to help measure it, but I did the best I could. I let my soft tape drift downstream along side its body until it got to the fork. The fish was moving its tail so I estimate it was between 45-49 inches. I didn't have any need for an accurate measurement since it wasn't for any competition so I didn't want to stress it anymore. I have to admit though, if I would have had a camera man, I would have loved to have been holding it with an ear to ear grin on my face. I would have finally had an avatar worthy fish. :) I pulled these photos from the video.

A few minutes after I let this one go, a giant sea lion popped up behind me and scared the crap out of me. It stayed in the area for a bit, then I saw it downstream by the rock island with a fish in its jaws.

I was getting ready to quit at about noon when a couple of other guys came out. They said they usually fish the ocean for rock fish, but had seen my post on the Northwest Kayak Angler's Forum yesterday and wanted to give sturgeon fishing a try. They asked a couple questions about rigging and anchoring and this was the result:

They measured it and it was 44 inches.

I decided to stay since I now had company, and hopes of catching another big one. Unfortunately, I had a hook up with another good one and lost it.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
rhutchinson
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and Canoes.

Re: Fun day sturgeon fishing on the Willamette

Post by rhutchinson »

Wow. The picture of him alongside and up against the boat really shows his size. Pretty hard getting the camera far enough away from a fish that big while you're wrestling it with the other hand!
Nice. Thanks.

Richard
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap !!!
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Fun day sturgeon fishing on the Willamette

Post by craiggamesh »

rhutchinson wrote:Wow. The picture of him alongside and up against the boat really shows his size. Pretty hard getting the camera far enough away from a fish that big while you're wrestling it with the other hand!
Nice. Thanks.

Richard
Yeah, it's hard to get a good shot by yourself. I wish someone would have been out there with me, but I think most were preparing for the Superbowl.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.