Goanywhere paddles a Laker

Per request from the many Laker builders, the section is dedicated to braggin' about your Laker kayak.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Goanywhere paddles a Laker

Post by OnkaBob »

Steve (Goanywhere) lives not too far from me and we agreed it would be a good idea for him to check out a Jem boat before starting his Sabalo. Today we caught up at Pt Noarlunga and together with Steve's nephew Ethan went for a leisurely paddle on the Onkaparinga river.
This gave us a chance to talk about S&G boat building and aspects of the Laker that will be common to the Sabalo. It also finally gave me a chance to see how the Laker goes from a spectator's viewpoint.

Boats unloaded. The mural on the wall behind is a distorted depiction of the Pt Noarlunga beach/estuary area.

Other shots were while on the water.

The machinery in the background here is a drilling rig for the pylons of the rail extension that will cross the river. I am only just starting to appreciate how obtrusive this will be on the landscape when finished.

Over the hour that we paddled I think Steve was impressed by the Laker's tracking and turning ability, speed, carrying capacity and weight - but he may want to add his own comments.

It was quite cold (by our standards) but still enjoyable and a great opportunity to meet another Jem builder. I'm looking forward to Steve's Sabalo build but not as much as he is I suspect :D .
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Goanywhere paddles a Laker

Post by craiggamesh »

What is the other wood boat hidden behind the laker in the "boats unloaded" photo?
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Re: Goanywhere paddles a Laker

Post by goanywhere »

Hi Bob (again). I made some comments on your other post.

Yes, a very enjoyable time out. I was very impressed with the quality, lightness and strength of the Laker. I couldn't get over how easy it was to paddle, much more responsive and lighter than even my little plastic yak my nephew got to try for his first paddle.

Looking forward to asking your advice when I get to my build Bob!
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!