Willamette River Monster Sturgeon and Other Fall Fishing Fun

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Willamette River Monster Sturgeon and Other Fall Fishing Fun

Post by craiggamesh »

It has been awhile since I have posted on here. It may be due to my shame of not yet finishing the strip built Okwata :lol: . Or it may be because I have spent about every spare moment fishing. Can you blame me?? It has been a fun fall/early winter of saltwater fishing for Lingcod, salmon, black rock fish, and cabezon; and freshwater fishing for sturgeon, cutthroat trout, rainbow trout, large mouth bass, and small mouth bass fishing. And I can't forget these little guys (yellow perch):
I got a few salmon, here is a Chinook I caught in the Buoy 10 fishery near the mouth of the Columbia River.'
And I must not forget the Dungeness crabs. I made a trip to Nehalem Bay once and the second trip was to Netarts Bay. I brought home 3 nice big crabs each trip.

I pulled hundreds up each day (mostly female), but since it is just my wife and I eating them, I only kept three each time. Here is a small female that got tossed back:

It was a beautiful and calm December day

a nice Netarts Bay sunset with my friends Hobie Tandem Island in the background.

But, I have to say the highlight of fishing in the last couple months was this:

I did not catch it, but I helped measure it and got to witness it up close and personal. It was amazing! The guy that caught it was pulled up and down the river for 45 minutes before he subdued it along side his yak for measuring. After we measured it (93 inches), it decided it wanted another go around with him. Eventually, it broke the leader (100 pound dacron). Here is a great video of it: http://youtu.be/rh-1GGmagOg
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
OneLastCast
Type of boat I like: Sabalo 12

Re: Willamette River Monster Sturgeon and Other Fall Fishing

Post by OneLastCast »

Wow :shock: that is one serious fish. We don't have anything like that in Australia. The Murray cod is our premier freshwater fish (grows to 6ft) but you'd be lucky to catch a 3 footer these days. Appreciate the post.
Regards

Tony