Soft pad eyes

Post your own building tips and "how to" ideas here.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Soft pad eyes

Post by tx river rat »

This is how I make my pad eyes ,I am not sure if it i the best way but it works
I use 1 inch webbing

cut a piece 8 inches long,I burn the ends to stop it from raveling

now fold it so that you have 1 inch sticking out past the edge on top.

I always have welding rods around so I use them ,a nail or any small rod will work . Heat it on the stove

now burn a hole threw all three pieces

this does two things ,gives you a hole and melts the area aroound the hole togeter and serves as a washer

Wala you have a soft pad eye ready to bolt on your yak,

finished project

are there any better ways to do this?
Ron
David Kopera
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Soft pad eyes

Post by David Kopera »

Great job on those pad eyes. I use the same technique, except I use an old electric soldering iron to make the holes. They don't let me play with the stove or matches and stuff :roll:

I top them off with finish washers and matching screws. I even found some little do-hickeys that mount in the bottom of the hole to replace the nuts for the screw. They just tap into the hole from the bottom like a small plate with a hole in them. Now I don't have to fumble with the little nuts up inside the top of the boat.
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Post by LesForgue »

Very nice.
I must admit I had to read and look to the end before I knew what the heck is a pad eye.

These are almost the same as things you can make and bolt down under an automobule hood / bonnet to use for car topping a boat.
When ready to use them, you open the hood/bonnet, flap them out and close the hood/bonnet with them sticking out, then you use them as anchor points for tying down the boat.
Les Richard Forgue
Manjimike

Post by Manjimike »

That's a good idea, Les. :)

Mike
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Post by LesForgue »

Manjimike wrote:That's a good idea, Les. :)

Mike

I agree it's a good idea -- one I picked up from an article about car-topping boats..
Les Richard Forgue
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

LesForgue wrote:Very nice.
I must admit I had to read and look to the end before I knew what the heck is a pad eye.

These are almost the same as things you can make and bolt down under an automobule hood / bonnet to use for car topping a boat.
When ready to use them, you open the hood/bonnet, flap them out and close the hood/bonnet with them sticking out, then you use them as anchor points for tying down the boat.
Brilliant idea! One bonnet mounted pad-eye coming up!
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!