Jay's Laker Launch

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
JayM
Type of boat I like: Laker Sabalo or Wadefish

Jay's Laker Launch

Post by JayM »

I took it for it's first outing to Lofton Creek, a small creek near Amelia Island. My BIL Dan and I met at the boat ramp there this morning and put in.

First time in the water! :D :D :D

Approaching a large Cypress tree that is a landmark on this paddle.

Me in front of the Cypress.

Me again.

Dan.

The Big Cypress.

Overall I was very pleased with the performance. Very stable, great tracking, and once moving would glide easily with minimal effort. Excellent maneuverability. Dan wasn't familiar with my camera and didn't get any pics of me with the giant grin on my face :lol:. It almost turns just by thinking about it! I'm really looking forward to many hours paddling this one.

Dan took a short turn in it and really liked it as well. He seemed to have no trouble getting used to it.

So now to add the hatches, bungies, and rod holders, and get some slime on it. Then start deciding which one to build next :lol:

Jay
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Jay's Laker Launch

Post by OnkaBob »

That's what I like to see - a fine young man paddling his fine new boat in what looks like perfect Laker territory. :D

Well done you! 8)
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Great job!
-Matt. Designer.
JayM

Post by JayM »

Thanks, guys.

Bob, I don't know about the young man part... I'll have to ask my grandsons about that :)

Jay
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

Nice! But have you started on the next one yet?
Cheers John.
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Post by Mick »

OnkaBob wrote:That's what I like to see - a fine young man paddling his fine new boat in what looks like perfect Laker territory. :D

Well done you! 8)
X2!

Bloody good job mate and its good to see more of us young'uns getting into it. :D
JayM

Post by JayM »

Mick,

Thanks. Your builds have been an inspiration to me and educational as well. I guess us "young'uns" are like fine wine... we just get better with age :D

John,

I'm still trying to decide which one to do next. I want one that's good for fishing since I have friends that do, and we have lot's of places in NE Florida, with both excellent salt water estuaries with lots of redfish, flounder, and many other sources of slime, as well as outstanding freshwater fishing. I also paddle with more recreational paddlers with sea kayaks, so I want something that has similar performance with the ability to carry camping gear for multi night trips. I like the Sabalo but have also been looking at the Blue Fin 15-29. Haven't seen any build threads or reports on it yet, just the tandem and the 12 footer. Matt, have any of the BF 15-29 been built other than the one in the pics?

Jay
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Several plans sold. But those are the only pictures I've received back.
-Matt. Designer.
JayM

Post by JayM »

I guess my real concern about the Blue Fin is the strength of the sides in the cockpit area. It looks like there is some kind of reinforcement along the top, but I couldn't really tell from the photos. The 12' build looks more like the Sabalo, and the tandem looks like it has a thin strip on the inside, but it's hard to tell from the pics.

Jay
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

The Blue fin, above the floor, has like a "canoe wall". It has some gunwale material on the top edge that will make it very stiff.
-Matt. Designer.