Neons Sabalo 12

Builder show and discuss their progress.
woodman
Type of boat I like: plywood kayaks

Re: Neons Sabalo 12

Post by woodman »

Well Neon..... if you ever get into building a strip build you will need a stiff back....then just clamp those straps to it.....I have built all my boats using that box beam.....You can add on any configuration you want to the surface and count on it being straight.....
neon14
Type of boat I like: SUP hybrid kayak

Post by neon14 »

Im having a hard time making progress on this boat. Been out of town the last 2 weekends. Working. Helping mom and dad with stuff. Now I have to go to Corpus Christi for a funeral tomorrow :cry: Be back Thursday and then heading off to Dallas for a family reunion, prolly wont be back until Tuesday. Good news is the hull is ready to glass, got it all sanded last Thursday I think.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Ok. After my post last night I got fired up. Got up early this morning. Had about 3 hours to play with before we headed down to corpus. Went for it and got it done.
The glass went on really nice, made for a long day. But now I am glad I did it.
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Post by makenmend »

very nice, early mornings is the ticket with this heat right now, and your shop is entirley to clean :P

MM
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Guess what? We decided not to go to Dallas. To much driving, we needed a break from all the traveling. So I got the filleting on the inside of the hull done today.
Everybody that comes by and looks at it thinks its a canoe. I try to explain to them that its going to be a SOT kayak and that I am going to cut holes in the bottom of it :lol:
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Holly Crapola! I got the inside of the hull glassed today!
Did it in 2 halves, not the neatest job but its not going to be seen for long.

I also put a scale to it today. 24.5 pounds so far. And weighed the bag of wood shavings cut off the 4 top panels, 2.5 pounds.

My wife said just make it into a canoe and be done with it, I told her NO! :lol:
woodman
Type of boat I like: plywood kayaks

Post by woodman »

If it was a sit-in with short end decks and scuppered gunwales it wouldn't weigh much over 30lbs plus a seat could set pretty high off the floor....Nice looking multi-chine hull...
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Got most of the internals coated with epoxy.
Set the panels in place just to look see the fit. Not bad if I must say. They all fit without any problems. All the gaps will be filled up with wood flower soon. This thing is looking pretty good. Still have to glass the inside and outside of the scuppers! Not looking foreword to that!

Prolly going to take tomorrow off so we can party, 4th of July :D
neon14

Post by neon14 »

I have been knocking away at this thing little by little. Got about half the filleting done on the internal framework. Thats a lot of filleting! Also started the 3 top deck pieces.
I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel :D

Been looking at seats, not finding anything that looks appealing. Then I saw a canoe on the internet with a swivel seat. That might be kind of cool.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Got the rest of the filleting on the framework done today. Thats some tedious stuff.
After that I moved on to the seating area.
The cockpit panels fit perfectly! In fact, so did the dry fit on the tank well.
Was able to get some nice neat fillets, better than I did on the inside.

As I am putting this thing together I have noticed lots of little potential storage compartments :D

Oh, I forgot to mention that I glassed the inside of the scuppers. It was a pretty interesting deal. But they came out good. Still have to glass the frame to the hull, that should be fun!