Stalker build log

Builder show and discuss their progress.
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Stalker build log

Post by surfman »

Great! Well at least you have been busy :) Are you going to try to make this thing in two haves and then splice it together? Instead of scabbing the haves first into long pieces and then stitching it up? If so, that seems like that would be a lot more difficult?
Tight Lines, Steve
moony
Type of boat I like: JEM Stalker

Post by moony »

I think the perspective of that photo might be throwing you off but that's all 14' of boat right there. Panels are already scarfed together but the angle of that shot makes it look shorter than it actually is.
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by surfman »

Ok, I took a second look, my bad, I was thinking what the heck, :) anyway, get it done, you will have a ball fishing out of it.
Tight Lines, Steve
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

moony wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:49 am... I had one child and life was very different. I now have three ...
Well, THERE'S your problem!

Spring is certainly having a go so, yes, summer will be here before you know it. Hopefully it will be on the water in time to get some use this season.

Where will you use it - rivers and lakes or the sea?
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
moony

Post by moony »

Hi Bob,

I'm in Goulburn NSW (between Sydney and Canberra), and hopefully it'll see some pretty varied use. Here in town it's fun just to put in on the local river of an afternoon and give the redfin population a hard time. Canberra is only a stone's throw away and I'm there a lot, and it has quite a few lakes that are stocked regularly with natives, and also full of redfin and carp. I also spend quite a bit of time on the south coast around Bateman's bay so plenty of estuary use as well.

Bass are my favourite species though, and I have grand plans to have a few overnight trips up the Shoalaven River this summer in search of them. I could do it on my kayak, but this boat will mean much more storage for gear, and I could bring my wife or a kid along for the trip.
moony

Post by moony »

Stitching is all done, seams are masked, hull is flipped and ready for tacking.

The inevitable result of working on what is currently a very prickly boat:

Better get to mixing epoxy
surfman

Post by surfman »

Now were talking. Now that you have it this far you will be a lot more motivated to get her done! Looking good.
Tight Lines, Steve
moony

Post by moony »

surfman wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:56 am Now were talking. Now that you have it this far you will be a lot more motivated to get her done! Looking good.
The genius of my plan is that it's really in the way at the moment, but I can't move it or do anything with it until it's done, so I don't really have a choice 😄
oldbuffpilot
Type of boat I like: pirogue for fishing

Post by oldbuffpilot »

Congratulations on persistence! Looking good. It appears the crawdads I have built are similar.
Don't forget to put packing tape on the forms to keep the epoxy from sticking to the forms. I did that ONCE!

Andy
"To Them We Owe a Solemn Obligation"
moony

Post by moony »

oldbuffpilot wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:46 am Don't forget to put packing tape on the forms to keep the epoxy from sticking to the forms. I did that ONCE!

Andy
Haha, yeah I don't fancy permanent bulkheads in a canoe. Fortunately the forms have been taped up since 2013. They're actually out of the boat now and filleting is taking place to prep for fibreglassing. I'll have to take some more pics.