Planning to build a SS&G Northwind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
snipa
Type of boat I like: Laker+Wadefish+Northwind

Re: Planning to build a SS&G Northwind

Post by snipa »

:) Strips cut, glued back together, 12 hull panels cut to shape and run through the thicknesser. :D

With a bit of luck they should look more like a boat than a heap of wood cut into odd curved shapes 60 mm high on the bench.

Let the fun part begin!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers John
snipa

Post by snipa »

Just about ready for a test float. A couple of coats of resin, then widen the graphite on the bottom. Seems to be too narrow to my mind. Weighed in at 40.48lbs/18.4kgs without the seat fitted. Seems strong enough. Paulownia does weigh light.

Can hardly wait. Will test drive and then do the hatches, fit out anchor trolley, rod holders and then varnish.

A couple of photos, okay several

More photos if your interested
http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/snipa57/story/89953
Cheers for now
Cheers John
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

What can I say but "Maaaaaate!" :lol:

Very neat job there John, will look fantastic on the water. Brace yourself for some extreme cases of carpark syndrome - there'll be so many people wanting to ask about it that you'll have trouble getting to the water.

Must say you look younger than I expected too. :D
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

excellent work!
-Matt. Designer.
snipa

Post by snipa »

Thanks people, much appreciated.
Very neat job there John, will look fantastic on the water. Brace yourself for some extreme cases of carpark syndrome - there'll be so many people wanting to ask about it that you'll have trouble getting to the water.
Since I've recently become unemployed, one would hope they may be requesting to have one built for them at some exorbitant price. :wink:
Must say you look younger than I expected too.
Bit of a scare factor there, carefully lowered the grandson into the boat on the stands to see if there was any flex with the Paulownia. Was very good, he could walk up and down the cockpit, shift the seat with no sign whatsoever of flex in the boat. :D

Am very pleased with the outcome so far. Can't wait to test drive :)
Cheers John
Plug
Type of boat I like: Sabalo

Post by Plug »

Snipa,

Nice looking Kayak, I am thinking of doing my next one SS&G for the deck, I was wondering the you know of any darker woods that could be used for contrast. A bit off topic I know, but thought I would try and pick your brains, I am still relatively new to Kayak building

thanks
Brendan
snipa

Post by snipa »

G'day Brenden,
Sorry mate can't really help you much, this is only the third boat I have made.

As you can see a plywood S&G Laker, a homegrown 7'10" S&G Laker/pirouge type thingy in ply for the grandson and the Northwind. So as you can see I am just starting to learn about SS&G.
A timber place here was going to chase some redwood posts that i may have used but decided to go with Paulownia and a mate had some spare WRC he is making a Freedom 15 out of, so I went with that.
There will be someone else on the forum that may know more about timber than me(not hard).

Till December last year I only ever built stuff out of steel. Chinese steel is a different animal to Aussie steel though. Likewise I suspect different timbers have different qualities and suitability as boat building usage. Ironbark is a deep red colour but I don't think it would be usable due mainly to it's weight, have no idea either as to it's flexibility for use as strips. This is a subject I need to do more research on myself
Cheers John
snipa

Post by snipa »

Hi Bob
Is this more along the lines of your expectation
Must say you look younger than I expected too.
Cheers John
snipa

Post by snipa »

Hi all,
had a reweigh of the boat before the test paddle, bare weight has come up to 45lb12oz.
No doubt will gain a bit more when the hatches are in but I don't think it will go over 50lb.

Anyway it floats!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

And am totally happy with it. Was empty on the day so was a bit tippy but 1st and 2nd stability made me feel totally safe in it. Moves along surprisingly well. Loves a straight line, not so fussed about turning. No doubt I just need to learn about that. Glides well.

Will proceed to fit the hatches and rod holders asap and then get it out on some bigger water with a bit more room to turn and a load of fishing gear to stablise it a bit.Image

Later
Cheers John