Sasquatch in the Outback (Oz) Desert

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Sasquatch in the Outback (Oz) Desert

Post by Mick »

G'day guys,

This post has been delayed by life, so please accept our apologies.

In April this year, I was a very lucky man and married a most beautiful woman. Let me introduce the very lovely Mrs Evie Webb.

For our honeymoon we decided on a trip to Queensland's Outback and of course, we just had to take our beloved Sas' with us. :D :D

Also accompanying us was our little "girl" , Rosie :D

and accommodation was camping in our Kimberley Kamper Trailer

These are an iconic Aussie camper and open up a bit like a tardis. Very robust design and will go wherever a four wheel drive is capable of going.
Mick

Re: Sasquatch in the Outback (Oz) Desert

Post by Mick »

Our first stop 0n the way was near Kilkivan and not the outback at all, but a lovely spot nonetheless,

ImageOur first morning on the road.

a few shots from around the camp site,

After a couple of days here, it was time to head west.

Next stop was an overniter beside the Chinchilla wier ...
Mick

Post by Mick »

A couple of shots from Chinchilla,

A couple of early morning paddlers

An early start and then on to Miles where we had morning tea beside Dogwood Creek (Definitely coming back here)

Then heading further west to Mitchell (Definitely coming back here too) where we camped for a few days beside this little river,

More soon
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

Congratulations

& top trip. That something I would love to do in the future.
zeb
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by zeb »

CONGRATULATIONS ! So pleased for both of you.

Great report so far,looking forward to rest!
All The Best
Zeb
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

Married! :shock: Congratulations - You wild and crazy kids! :lol:

Going to enjoy reading all of this Mick. Looks like you found some interesting stretches of water to paddle on. My paddling destination wish list is growing already.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Mick

Post by Mick »

Thanks Pete, Zeb and Bob :D

After a few days in Mitchell, exploring the area, we continued west to Charleville, The heart of Queensland's Central West and the start of the outback. and the biggest town. Population about 5,000 I think.

A couple of shots in and around Charleville.

Main Street. :D

Ward River, (comin back here too)

We spent another 4 or 5 days at Charleville, resting and exploring and restocking food and fuel and checking the car and trailer before venturing further west. We both really liked this town with its genuine country hospitality. An example - I had a minor electrical problem in my mighty little Nissan. I called in to the local Ford/Nissan/Hyundai/Great Wall dealership and the guru there came out, had a look and fixed the problem in a few minutes. When I asked about the cost, the reply was a casual "no worries mate. I couldn't charge you for that"

If I buy another new car, it will be off this bloke.

Still no paddling as yet. To be honest we were just too busy enjoying the place and the freedom.

Next stop,

Lake Houdraman near Quilpie....
Mick

Post by Mick »

Charleville is 800 kilometres (500 miles) west from the coast where we live and not quite half way across the state. Our plan was to continue west and basically, see what we could see. :D

The countryside was getting progressively harder and we saw our first live emu of this trip.

There were hundreds of them as road kill along the way.

"Lake Houdraman" is actually a largish billabong about 7 kilometres from Quilpie. Quilpie is a little over a couple of hndred klms west of Charleville. It is on a privately owned cattle station and the owner has very kindly fenced off about 200 acres of this vast property beside part of the lake and allowed free public access. All that is asked in return is that the place be left clean and his cattle not disturbed. 8)

The countryside out here is mostly flat and dry and for those in a hurry, uninteresting. For us however, travelling at geezer warp speed, we just loved every kilometre of it,

We pulled in to Lake Houdreman just on sunset and set up camp by the lake in the dark. We woke the next morning to this view :shock:

With not another camper in sight. 8)

16 coffees and a quick brekky later, I just had to get out onto the water

Ahhhh! this is more like it!

I even found time to set some traps for our western crayfish 8)

Which we all enjoyed very much :D

Mick

Post by Mick »

We spent a few more days here and were really sad to leave this place. Quilpie is also heart of Queensland's boulder opal country. Befere we leave, a quick look around the place, :D

Main Street,

Post office

and on the way out of town we had a bit of a scratch in the dirt for some opal. 8)

Did I mention the flies were pretty bad here too.

Mick

Post by Mick »

Next stop was Windorah, where we refuelled, re watered and spent a quick overnighter in the local camping ground. We were on the edge of the desert now and keen to get into it.

The following morning, we set off bright and early (for us), with the morning sun at our back and headed off into the desert towards Birdsville, some 400 kilometres away with very little to nothing in between. Our plan was pretty simple, take it slow and easy, get as far as we got, set up camp in the desert for the night and make Birdsville to following day with lots of roadside cuppa breaks along the way.

About every 100 klms or so, we came across a little shelter like this to make a cuppa and the first stop soon enough came along.

We barely had time to boil the water and make tea before the flies nearly drove us insane and we had to get back into the airconditioned comfort of the car.

The flies got progressively worse each time we stopped and the miles were covered more quickly than we had hoped.

Then, out of nowhere, we came across a mesa (in the middle of bloody nowhere) with this made on the side

and we just had to stop, have a cupper and try to understand the significance of this. The serpent was several hundred metres long, about 4 to 5 metres wide and was made entirely by placing coloured rocks in the appropriate places.