Lake Waruma and Sasquatch

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Lake Waruma and Sasquatch

Post by Mick »

G'day guys,

A little while ago Evie and I spent a few days at Lake Waruma near Eidsvold. Beautiful place and a free bush camp. Beauty! :D

We got there about 8.30pm and set up in the dark. The grey nomads really like this place apparently so we did real well to get a spot so close to the water's edge.

Sunset from our camp the next day

One can see some of the nomads caravans in the back ground.

The camping spot here consists of several small bays on the shore of the lake and every bay had a stack of real flash camps set up. I think our American cousins call them trailers but we call them caravans. There is plenty of good shade for the hot days and many of the sites are relatively flat to set up camp on. We were both very tired so for the first couple of days just sat around the camp and going for short paddles and walks. Geezer camping - gotta love it! :D

Entry track into our camp spot

'nutha view

we made friends with some other geezers who went out every day to check their crayfish traps

but for the most part, we just kicked back at our camp and watched and fed the wildlife

Mick

Re: Lake Waruma and Sasquatch

Post by Mick »

After a few days of this, the firewood was starting to run low and the nomads had picked the camp spots bare so a little sorte' in our beloved Sas to an unpopulated bay was called for. Note my trusty Stihl Wood Boss chainsaw on the loaded canoe :D Took about 20 minutes to get over 100 kilos of dry red gum - err Eucalyptus firewood 8) I love my saw almost as much as love the canoe

another shot of our camp site 8)

These guys came in every day

and our killer toy poodle was NOT impressed :shock:

One more shot of our camp. Somehow the green and tan canvas just looks so much more right to me than the gleaming white of all those RVs

Evie and I both came down with the flu here so there wasn't a lot of paddling done but we are very definitely going back there as soon as we can.

thanks for taking the time to read this.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

Yet another classy report - well done Mick. I reckon I've seen that stove in 4 of your camping trip reports now and it still takes me by surprise.

Love the pic of the poodle facing down the intruder.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Mick

Post by Mick »

G'day Bob and thanks mate.

Not sure if I have mentioned it here or not but the stove is an Ozpig and we reckon its the best thing since sliced bread. We just wont go camping without it.
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

How old are you before you are classed as a grey nomad Mick :D :D :D :D

Just google Ozpig if you want one of the ovens or if you are handy with a welder they are made out of old 9kg gas bottles. . . . . Just make sure it's empty & vented properly before you cut into it.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Mick take us some pics of the stove and specs I might want to build one.
Ron
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Ron.....
This might help.
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewt ... lit=muzpig

If not then this one has some good close up pictures.
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewt ... 7&start=15
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Wannabe

Post by Wannabe »

Ron,
Go back and look at the pictures of Mick's different camp sites and there is the Ozpig. Kinda like looking at pictures of Pipers campsites, there is always a Dutch Oven in the picture.
Bob
Mick

Post by Mick »

G'day Ron,

Mae what specs are you looking for mate? The stove is based on a 9 kilogram (20 pound?) LPG gas bottle.

The legs are 1/2 inch water pipe - 12 inches long and screw into 4 half inch sockets that are welded to the base. The flu is just 2inch exhaust pipe, cut into 12 inch lengths. When travelling, the whole thing breaks down Except for the 2 cooking plates fit inside the bottle.

There are all sorts of home made variations on this theme, and some are way better than the original in my opinion. Gonna build one myself when I get the time. 8)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Mick wrote: Gonna build one myself when I get the time. 8)

what else ya gonna build, mate? :mrgreen: :D :lol: 8)
-Matt. Designer.