Sailing rig for a Laker

Per request from the many Laker builders, the section is dedicated to braggin' about your Laker kayak.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Sailing rig for a Laker

Post by OnkaBob »

Some time ago there was a thread about a Laker trimaran. I finally started making some small outriggers for my Laker with the aim of adding a sail. Plans include a hollow mast with balanced lug sail rig. Don't expect any rapid progress on this as I am making it up as I go along and also need to chase up some more epoxy/glass.

Most of the time spent so far has been in thinking, sketching, looking at bits of wood, rethinking, resketching etc.

At least I've started though:

Interior construction

Tops just sitting in place.

Laminating a timber strip that will become the sides of a curved hollow box beam for mounting the outriggers.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Sailing rig for a Laker

Post by OnkaBob »

A little more progress on the sailing rig - but not much. Been spending far too much time thinking about how to attach things for easy assembly/dismantling but I think it's finally worked out.

Here are the hulls glassed.

A pair of boxy structures on top allows connection to the arms.

Bungy will hold the retainer in place.
Cheers, Bob

OnkaBob

Re: Sailing rig for a Laker

Post by OnkaBob »

Clamped a few things together a while back to get an idea of how it would hang together.

Started on a couple of different ideas for connecting to the Laker deck and then abandoned them. The compound angles involved cause it to be difficult to make up as you go along.

Finally settled on having a set of cleats glued to the hull and a plywoood clamp that slide into place on each then is held in place by bungy.

Some proof of concept photos below. The deck cleats are not finished but are the ones I will use. The clamp piece is a trial piece. I wanted them to be interchangeable but it will end up with each of them fitting one corner only.

Cheers, Bob