Pirogue Seat Positions/height

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Bluefox
Type of boat I like: Small wood boats

Pirogue Seat Positions/height

Post by Bluefox »

Hi,
To start, I am a first time builder and have my 13' 9" pirogue to the touch up and trim out stage. I am in need of guidance on the seating. I know most pirogues don't have seats, but I am 72 years old and am not sure I can sit flat for an extended time (neither do I want to try it). How high on the sides can I put them? Thx in advance.
I would also like to say how much I enjoyed building this boat and reading the comments on this site.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Re: Pirogue Seat Positions/height

Post by Oldsparkey »

The height is your choice but the higher the seat is the higher the center of gravity will be and the tipper the boat becomes.
On a 12 inch side I like the seat at 6 inches or lower. One thing you might want to consider is a seat that is not attached to the pirogue but can be removed if you want it to be.

Here is the seat in one of Matt's ( Jem Watercraft) Freedom 15 Kayaks that I built .........

I had a flat seat in mine and after a while it got uncomfortable so I designed a seat for the pirogue and it is at this link.
http://www.southernpaddler.com/phpBB3/v ... ?f=3&t=283

Chuck.........
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Chuck said it best.

I'd suggest to take some old phone books or blocks and try various heights to see what you're comfortable with. Also try different spots around midship. Usually if your hips are about 12" aft of center gives the best trim. But it's different for each builder.
-Matt. Designer.
Bluefox
Type of boat I like: Small wood boats

Post by Bluefox »

Thanks for the help. I doubt if mine will look that good, maybe the next one.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Bluefox wrote:Thanks for the help. I doubt if mine will look that good, maybe the next one.
'
When you get to paddling regular, any "oops" you made become less visible to you.
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Bluefox wrote:Thanks for the help. I doubt if mine will look that good, maybe the next one.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Besides I always considered it a winner if any of mine floated. :lol: I found that if any mistakes were made ( I have made plenty ) and you don't point them out to anyone they never notice them. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
oldbuffpilot
Type of boat I like: pirogue for fishing

Post by oldbuffpilot »

For what it’s worth. The age thing had caught up with me and pirogue fishing about became a thing of the past. Some things that made it much easier at 73:

Light weight boat(s) ie, cedar strips and adapt chucks lightweight techniques. With some common sense.
you can build a safe usable lightweight boat.

A pull up strap works wonders for getting up and down. I just put a loop a rope fastened to the bow.

Experiment with seat position start low and work up. I use a Walmart seat that is lightweight and build a simple box to fasten it on with screws.

Hope you enjoy your pirogue many more years!

Imageimage hosting gif
mt
"To Them We Owe a Solemn Obligation"