Quarantine Kayak Build - Blue Fin 15-29 w/ Mirage Drive

Builder show and discuss their progress.
scottrunnr
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Quarantine Kayak Build - Blue Fin 15-29 w/ Mirage Drive

Post by scottrunnr »

Thx Matt!

I'm sure I'll have more questions about the integration of the Hobie inflatable well as I progress. I've ordered the well assembly. Time to start tearing apart the decking etc. :-)

What a beautiful build Cowbro!
scottrunnr
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by scottrunnr »

Matt & Cowbro,
Can you provide me with some details on your transducer & rudder/control installs?

1. It looks like you built a recessed box for the transducer. How did you build a watertight feed for the cables?
How did you attach the transducer holder & transducer cover w/o compromising the watertightness of the hull?

2. For the rudder:
a. I was also thinking of using the Hobie Twist & Stow rudder. Do you have any specs for the attachment you built for it?
b. I had also stumbled across the Bixpy rudder control & was hoping to use it. Sounds like that option isn't optimal.
Can you detail the rudder control system you built?

Thx!
Cowbro
Type of boat I like: Blue fin

Post by Cowbro »

Scott, sorry I missed your questions. I haven't been on the board much, I got tied up with a full-size power boat build. Did you get any progress done on your conversion?

As for the transducer well, think of it like an oversized scupper. It was roughly 4" wide and 8" long, but the deck covered most of it with just a 2"x2" hole to let water pass through. The wire for the ducer runs up through that hole, so you don't have to worry about sealing up the cable below the waterline.

As for the steering, the twist and stow is sweet. All I did to mount it was to mount a block on the transom with a hole in it for the twist and stow pivot pin to slide through.

As for the Bixby steering, the radius of the "wheel" that that the steering cables mounts to is just too small to provide enough cable throw for the twist n stow rudder. I made my own steering handle by laminating 3 layer of plywood that I cut into circles with a hole saw. Top and bottom were ~4" and the middle was ~3.5". This created a pulley of sorts with enough throw for the twist n stow. I glassed in a stainless "T-nut" and thr handle pivots on a stainless cap head bolt.

I will try to get some better pics of the steering for you.

-Phil