Trapper 35" Floatation Bulkheads - Watertight Storage?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
archerrj
Type of boat I like: Trapper 15-35

Trapper 35" Floatation Bulkheads - Watertight Storage?

Post by archerrj »

Hello All, I am in the process of building a Trapper 35" canoe, and I am interested in adding Flotation bulkheads / watertight storage chambers. I am considering permanently fastening the two outer end assembly jigs to do so, but before committing, I figure that I would ask the Forum to see if I am overlooking anything in adding the bulkheads. Suggestions - comments appreciated!

Archerrj
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Trapper 35" Floatation Bulkheads - Watertight Storage?

Post by jem »

I'd consider installing some access hatches in the bulkheads. You can open them up when not in use to ensure no condensation and also makes for some nice dry storage while paddling (for phone, wallet, etc). Something like https://duckworks.com/seadog-quarter-tu ... ack-white/ .
-Matt. Designer.
archerrj
Type of boat I like: Trapper 15-35

Post by archerrj »

Thanks Matt, I was planning on installing an access hatch, do you think that the current jig location is an appropriate fore-aft position?

Also at what point in the build process would you suggest gluing the bulkheads in? I was leaning towards after Filleting & Fiberglassing the hull interior, but seeing as the instructions for the Gunwales state that the wood needs to be bonded wood to wood, I am now not sure how to procced.

Archerrj
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

Glassing the interior first will be much easier than trying to do the sections after installing bulkheads. I glassed the hull of my Laker first and it has been OK. Use some glass tape on the bulkhead to hull joints just as you would with any other joint and it will be fine.

I've tried making my own hatches and also have used plastic ones as suggested by Matt and I can confirm that the plastic ones are much better and well worth buying. Just make sure that the bulkheads are flat when you install them - the hatches don't work so well if they are distorted by being screwed to a curved surface.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I think you'll get best results gluing frames/stations in before applying fiberglass. Where the outer frames are will give you plenty of storage for small items.
-Matt. Designer.