gunwales detail

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
mud
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

gunwales detail

Post by mud »

Say, I've got a question about gunwales for a Buc X-tra. What about laminating 3/16 X 1 inch mahogany strips to build up a decent guwale?
I've got some mahogany rips left over from something else.

Waiting to get the plans. Hoping to pour over them a bit before building.
Looking to use 1/4" Okoume.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

mud

The nice thing about building your own boat is the simple fact that you make it the way you want it. This is what makes all of the boats individual works of art and special to the builder. :D

The boats show the ability, thoughts, desires and craftsmanship of the builder so you will never see two exactly alike no matter how hard you look or try to make two identical boats.

My way of thinking the mahogany would really make a difference and some beautiful gunwales on your boat ..... It is your boat and not mine so I would suggest that you make it your way ........ but if I had the mahogany I would sure use it.

It is best to study the plans so you understand every step of the construction process, then when you start, know what is going to happen 4 steps ahead of where you are.

This will let you do the customizing you want (the wood flour fillets, the wood trim, everything) and have dreamed or thought of. Always think 4 or more steps ahead while working on the step back from there, plus do not get in a hurry, take your time.

Every time I make a boat and it is done I am sure it is just the way I want it ................ then I look at it and say ... Self, if you would have done this or that ... Then another boat is in the works. It is a learning process and ton's of fun. Besides a person can never have to many boats. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

The plans show some detail how to build with laminated strips.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Laminated strips. properly done, will also be stronger than a single pice of the same dimensions.

Go for it mate. It is your boat and only you understand exactly what it is that you want to achieve. Take your time, put your heart into it. You will not be paddling just another boat, but a part of you. :D :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)